The largest village in Slovakia is located in the southern part of the basin Hornádska in places where the river Hornad leave the territory of the Slovak Paradise National Park. Already known from the Great Moravian settlement times. The first written mention dates from 1254 as a village royal handlers. In 1293 the Community adopted Zips Saxons. In the vicinity of the village became the object of metallurgical production. The last blast furnace worked in 1886.